buy cialis online in missouri
buy viagra pay with paypal
vicodin viagra
viagra online usa
order real viagra
cialis uk prescription
viagra uk retail price
cialis prescription cost
easy buy viagra
worlds cheapest viagra
cheap cialis tadalafil 20 mg
viagra without prescription
viagra generics in mexico
cialis pills levitra generic viagra
order cialis soft tabs

viagra manufacturers australia
viagra buy usa
viagra cheapest online
fastest shipping viagra
order generic viagra online
viagra comparison prices online
compare levetria and viagra
canadian pharmacy viagra brand
free viagra samples by mail
lowest cost of viagra
where can i order generic viagra
buy overseas viagra
legally purchase viagra
generic low price viagra
viagra dallas no prescription online
sildenafil citrate generic viagra uprima
generic viagra canadian pharmacy
viagra us pharmacy
viagra propecia buy online
generic viagra new zealand

 

 

Fowler Associates Labs

 

 

Static Fire Stories Articles & Technical Papers Current News

Static Electricity and Gas Pump Fires

By: Constance Harness          

Todd C. Frankel, of Charleston Daily Mail (tcfrankel@dailymail.com), reported on the danger static elecrticity presents at the gas pump.

On November 3, 1999, Robert Sexton and his wife Emma had dinner at the Ponderosa restaurant in Huntington. They then dropped their newborn daughter Brittney by a relative's house and took U.S. 60 toward Lincoln County to visit Emma's parents. They stopped for gas on the way at SuperAmerica station just out of Huntington. Robert inserted the pump nozzle into his white Toyota Camry; and, because it was chilly, locked the nozzle in the open position and jumped back into the car. In his side-view mirror, he saw a woman waving her arms. The gasoline was overflowing from the tank. He jumped out of the car and reached for the nozzle.

He sparked a fire and was ignited when he simply touched the gas pump nozzle. He was not smoking. The engine was off. He was not using his cell phone.  He received third-degree burns on 20 percent of his body, mostly his legs and arms. He spent two weeks in the burn unit at Cabell Huntington Hospital and another two months out of work. The state fire marshal's office concluded that the fire was likely caused by static electricity.

Static electricity is usually not dangerous but when combined with gasoline vapors at the fuel tank opening, a small spark can cause a fiery explosion. The public remains almost entirely unaware that this may occur.  Gas stations have been reluctant to post signs at the pumps warning that static electricity can ignite gasoline vapors. Speedway (formerly known as SuperAmerica) gas stations are the exception; they post signs which read: "Static Electricity Spark Explosion Hazard. Do Not Get Back Into Your Vehicle While Refueling. Re-entry Could Cause Static Electricity Build Up."

The German Society for Petroleum and Coal Science and Technology concluded in their comprehensive 1997study that: "When persons leave their vehicles' seats, they can become electrostatically charged and remain charged for some time. Electrical discharge by individuals in proximity to escaping fuel vapors can create a hazard."

In Broken Bow, Nebraska, on January 3, 2000, a man suddenly caught fire while refueling his Ford F-150 pickup. Luckily, he suffered only minor injuries. The fire started when he reached to remove the nozzle from his pickup. He noticed a spark fly from his hand to the nozzle.         

For the complete report by Todd C. Frankel, please see the full article at:

http://www.dailymail.com/news/News/2000121227/

 

Graphics provided free by:   http://members.tripod.com/

  

 

The ESD Journal is not affiliated with any trade organization, Association or Society

ESD Journal & esdjournal.com are Trademarks of Fowler Associates, Inc. - All Rights Reserved

The content & Look of the ESD Journal & esdjournal.com are Copyrighted by Fowler Associates, Inc. - All Rights Reserved Copyright 2011

The YouTube name and logo are copyright of YouTube, LLC.