Yet Another Gas Pump Fire
(probably not static this time)
by Jennifer Hazen
pictures by: Southwest Virginia Enterprise
34 year old man from Elk Creek, Virginia died on October 8,1999
after being burned in a gas fire. Ernest Wade Osborne an employee
for the Flying J Travel Plaza was attempting to change a gas pump
filter. The Wythe County Sheriff's Office reported that Osborne
was unscrewing the filter, when gasoline sprayed out and was ignited
by a camper next to the pump. When the Fire Department arrived the
camper was fully engulfed.
Dave Lamport, the owner of the camper,
pulled up to the pump in front of Osborne when the fire ignited.
Mr. Lamport refused treatment at the scene after cutting his hand
in an unsuccessful attempt to unhitch the camper from the truck.
Jeffrey Simmons of Southwest Virginia
|According to initial estimates, the fire caused
around $433,000 in damage to the gas island and vehicles involved.
Along with Lamport's truck and camper the fire also damaged
a 1993 Honda Civic parked at the pumps. The owner was apparently
inside the Flying J store when the blaze ignited.
Journal is not affiliated with any trade organization, Association or
Journal & esdjournal.com are Trademarks of Fowler Associates, Inc.
- All Rights Reserved
content & Look of the ESD Journal & esdjournal.com are Copyrighted
by Fowler Associates, Inc. - All Rights Reserved Copyright 2011
YouTube name and logo are copyright of YouTube, LLC.