order generic viagra
viagra sales usa
brand name cialis
cialis cheap overseas
buy generic viagra with paypal
viagra discount drug
viagra 200mg dose
buy cialis online in missouri?
cheap generic viagra no prescription
sales cialis
can i buy uae viagra
buy 1 cialis
generic viagra capsules
generic viagra softabs
viagra us sales

cheap generic viagra no script
viagra and unstable angina
ordering viagra on-line from canada
buy cheap viagra on the net
viagra or celas online
generic viagra indian
generic viagra mail order
when viagra generic
order viagra
generic viagra vega sildenafil citrate
viagra development costs
generic viagra american express
what pharmacys sell viagra
buy viagra 1
buy keyword online viagra
cheapest viagra kamagra
generic viagra super active
buy viagra and overseas
medical prescription viagra
generic viagra buy sildenafil citrate

 

 

Fowler Associates Labs

 

 

Static Fire Stories Articles & Technical Papers Current News

Static Spark sets Patient on Fire in Back of Connecticut Ambulance

Steve Waldrop, ESD Journal
January 27, 2004

Editorial Note: Even with the minor reporting information in on this case, we believe this problem may have been caused of a static spark from the EMS Technician to the defibrillator. The charging of the technician during his rescue attempts may have left him with a high potential that discharged to the defibrillator at the wrong time. Ambulances with oxygen rich atmospheres especially in the winter need to be evaluated for electrostatic hazards and EMS technicians need to be trained in the reduction of ESD.

 

New London, CT. - First Ran in "The Day" — While rescue workers struggled to restart a woman's heart in the back of an ambulance what appears to be a static spark to a defibrillator ignited a fire that burned the patient's face and clothing.

Police reports said that 47 year-old Brenda Jewett was pronounced dead at Lawrence & Memorial Hospital. The fire was quickly extinguished by the EMS personnel and no other injuries were reported.

The husband of the deceased woman, Harrison Jewett, said that she was not breathing when the ambulance arrived. The cause of death is expected to be determined by an autopsy. Local officials have asked for an investigation into the fire. We at the ESD Journal believe that the fire should be investigated from an electrostatic point of view.

Defibrillators are devices that deliver electric shocks to a patient's bare chest to jumpstart stopped hearts. They have proliferated in recent years to combat cases of sudden cardiac arrest. The machines are found in schools, with police, in airports and other public places and have been seen as universally safe.

“I've been in this business 20 years and I've never heard of something like this,” said Leonard Guercia Jr., director of the state Emergency Medical Services. In fact, Mary Newman, executive director of the National Center for Early Defibrillation in Pittsburgh, said she has no record of a defibrillator ever sparking a fire. We at the ESD Journal believe that the spark may have went to the defibrillator not FROM the defibrillator.

“I'm concerned about it,” said New London Fire Marshal Calvin Darrow. “All the equipment –– the ambulance ... the defibrillator –– needs to be tested. I think it needs to be looked at to make sure it doesn't happen again.” We at the ESD Journal believe the static environments of all ambulances needs to be evaluated and the EMS technicians trained in the reduction of electrostatic discharges.

When Mr. Jewitt noticed that his wife had stopped breathing and was slumped over on the living room couch he immediately called 911. Within minutes rescuers were on the scene and placed Brenda Jewett into the back of the ambulance and hurriedly left for the hospital emergency room.

Fire Marshall Darrow said that, once inside the ambulance, a paramedic and two other crewmembers worked to save the life of Brenda Jewett. As oxygen was pumped into her lungs, one of the rescuers reached for the defibrillator. The electric shock sparked a fire. (we at the ESD Journal beleieve this could this be static related.)

The ambulance stopped and crewmembers put out the blaze with an onboard fire extinguisher and tossed the oxygen tank out the back of the ambulance.

Dr. Vincent Mosesso Jr., the National Center for Early Defibrillation's medical director, said that defibrillation can cause superficial skin burns that leave red marks on a patient's skin. He downplayed the role that oxygen could have played in sparking the fire, maintaining that thousands of defibrillations have been given to patients on oxygen.

However, Mosesso did say that if Brenda Jewett's skin was particularly wet and the pads that administer the shock were too close together, an electric current could potentially jump through the air and not into her chest. That, in turn, could ignite a fire.

“I think right now it is more of a freak incident and it shouldn't dissuade people from using them,” Mosesso said in a telephone interview. “It's a procedure that's done very frequently every day ... around the world.”

The National Center for Early Defibrillation says it doubts either the machine or the fire killed Jewett. A spokeswoman said that a person who needs a defibrillator is "already dead," and that using it "can't make them any worse off than they are."

The continuing investigation in the fire shows the woman's death was not contributed to the fire.

 

 

The ESD Journal is not affiliated with any trade organization, Association or Society

ESD Journal & esdjournal.com are Trademarks of Fowler Associates, Inc. - All Rights Reserved

The content & Look of the ESD Journal & esdjournal.com are Copyrighted by Fowler Associates, Inc. - All Rights Reserved Copyright 2011

The YouTube name and logo are copyright of YouTube, LLC.